Apply for this job now
Veterinary Assistant - Full-time job | Chicago, IL – Petco Careers
- Chicago, Illinois
- Job Type
- 8 Sep 2022
Apply for this job now
Come work at a place where innovation and teamwork come together to support the most exciting missions in the world!
The purpose of this position inherently involves providing excellent medical care to our PetCoach hospital patients and phenomenal customer care to their owners. The PetCoach Veterinary Assistant represents the PetCoach mission and values to all clients. Our Veterinary Assistant sets the tone within the technical and customer support staff in the hospital, and is responsible, like all team members, for fostering cohesion and motivation within the team.
Essential Job Functions:
The incumbent must be able to perform all the following duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Greet clients and patients arriving for appointments and escort into an exam room, obtain weight and vital signs (temperature, pulse, respirations, pain score, body condition score) and record all in the electronic medical record, begin documentation of the patient visit in the electronic medical record by documenting a thorough patient history.
- Assist doctors with appointments (routine and emergency), surgery, dentistry, and euthanasia, taking direct supervision from the doctor and the PetCoach Lead Technician.
- Perform patient restraint, obtain and process laboratory samples, handle and dispense medications at the direction of the doctor, and maintain the electronic medical record.
- Schedule appointments, communicate with and educate clients, relay test results to doctor and clients, maintain and update inventory as well as client/patient records, and manage accounts receivable.
- Prepare patients for surgical and dental procedures, anesthetize patients and maintain them safely under anesthesia while monitoring vital parameters (under direction of the doctor), monitor patients during recovery and prepare them for going home or transfer to an overnight care facility.
- Provide in-hospital treatments for sick patients including giving injectable and oral medications as well as intravenous fluid therapy; keep patients clean, watered, and fed (when indicated and directed by doctor), safely walk canine patients when necessary for elimination.
- Participate in the training of new staff members and general dissemination of knowledge as required.
- Keep hospital environment neat and clean; perform regular cleaning of environment based on necessity as well as based on a pre-determined maintenance schedule.
This position has no immediate supervisory duties.
The majority of job duties are conducted in the PetCoach Veterinary Hospital, or in the PetCoach location. Position requires bending, kneeling, lifting (up to 30 pounds, as necessary) and standing for long periods of time. A large amount of this partner's time will be spent in direct contact with clients and their pets.
Petco Animal Supplies, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or any other protected classification.
- Job Reference: 707172457-2
- Date Posted: 8 September 2022
- Recruiter: Vetco
- Location: Chicago, Illinois
- Salary: On Application
- Sector: Education
- Job Type: Permanent