Cleveland Clinic is offering a $1,000 sign on bonus (external new hires).
Performs blood collection for Extended Care Clients. Conducts specimen transport, specimen tracking, specimen processing and preparing specimens for shipping ensuring that all specimens are preserved properly before they are sent for testing.
This is a travel position. Mileage reimbursement provided.
- Performs blood collection for Extended Care Clients and provides service to their residents who are mostly geriatric.
- Performs specimen processing and send-out tasks including accessioning, and packaging for transport when necessary for all specimen types.
- Follows proper protocol when collecting samples, examples include but are not limited to, introducing self, verifying patient identity, collection specimens for all tests listed on the requisition, clarifying tests when information is not specific, labeling specimens accurately for identification purposes, transporting and centrifuging.
- Prioritizes STAT, scheduled and routine orders.
- Ensures that each problem requisition is documented in accordance with the lab's documentation guidelines.
- Ensures all current demographic and insurance information are obtained and verified for the purpose of accurate and timely billing of third-party payers and/or outreach laboratory patients.
- Checks appropriate paperwork for each test, patient and/or client in a thorough and accurate manner COS-Check on Site.
- Completes and submits appropriate administrative paperwork neatly and timely, such as time and mileage reports.
- Maintains inventory of his/her supplies to ensure adequate amount of materials are on hand; requests supplies, as necessary.
- Maintains clean and orderly work area and vehicle.
- Follows proper laboratory safety procedures.
- Maintains efficient flow of verbal and written orders including, but not limited to timely arrival and on-call page.
- Contributes to CCL's success targets for patient and client satisfaction.
- Identify problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results and immediately notify the Team Lead and or Supervisor.
- Must be flexible to work a varied schedule as required - early morning shifts (i.e. start time between 4am and 4:30am) & afternoon shifts (start time between 12:30pm and 1p)
- Required to travel to patient locations, these include but are not limited to client's facilities, house calls and stats. On-Call hours are minimum number of weekday calls and every other weekend.
- Will carry ON-CALL pager a minimum number of weekday calls and every other weekend. (4am- midnight are call hours)
- Must answer pager within 15-30 minutes and arrive to the home within an hour unless there is an issue.
- When on call, must collect stat draws and have the specimen back to the lab within 2 hours from time receipt of call.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Graduation certificate from a formal accredited Phlebotomy program preferred.
- Proof of Basic Life Support (BLS) Certification through the American Heart Association must be presented upon hire or within the first 3 months of employment.
- ASCP Phlebotomy Certification preferred.
- A current, valid Driver License is required as well as personal auto liability insurance coverage with the limits of $100,000 per person/$300,000 per accident on bodily injury, and $100,000 in property liability damage required.
Competencies (Complexity of Work):
- Clean criminal history as required for positions with direct patient care in extended care facilities.
- Strong communication skills - written, verbal and listening.
- Adhere to HIPAA guidelines.
- Demonstrates critical thinking skills and the ability to work under minimal supervision and work independently, exercise creativity, be attentive to detail, and problem solving skills with the ability to determine appropriate course of action in more complex situations.
- Ability to work and deliver services in a high-volume, fast-paced environment.
- Actively promotes effective communication flow both internal and external of the department and communicate information to the appropriate personnel.
- Handles difficult situations involving patients, physicians, or others in a professional manner.
- Demonstrates adaptability: includes teamwork and flexibility needed to fulfill job responsibilities including adapting to changes in work environment and accepting constructive feedback.
- Able to operate various computer systems and assist nursing staff with computer operating instructions.
- Presents a compassionate professional demeanor, deliver positive customer service and dress according to CCL standards.
- One current years of phlebotomy experience required.
- Two current years of phlebotomy experience preferred.
- Experienced and proficient in blood collection from all patients. (EX: Senior Nursing Facilities, Rehabilitation Centers, Assisted Living Facilities, or private homes)
- Experienced with the handling/transport of Laboratory specimens, laboratory safety, medical terminology and laboratory waste management.
- Working knowledge of clinical laboratory and tests performed.
- Requires frequent standing and walking.
- Manual dexterity sufficient to manipulate blood drawing equipment and make measurements.
- Visual acuity including the ability to distinguish colors.
- This position is primarily traveling in nature.
- The average amount of lifting is 10 pounds with occasional carrying of objects up to 20 pounds.
- Work requires finger dexterity and eye hand coordination.
- Working irregular hours including On-call hours.
- Exposure to blood and body fluids, communicable diseases, chemicals, radiation, and repetitive motions.
- Pushing and pulling heavy objects.
- Position requires reaching, bending, stooping, and handling objects with hands and/or fingers, talking and/or hearing, and seeing.
Personal Protective Equipment:
- Follow standard precautions using personal protective equipment.