Transports patients and equipment from one area to another.
- Transports patients to and from clinical, ancillary and support areas via wheelchair, stretcher or beds as requested, including patients with oxygen tanks, intravenous pumps, drips and special equipment.
- Transfers patients to or from beds, wheelchairs or stretchers, with assistance.
- Transports patients during discharge to hospital lobby and opens doors.
- Ensures proper oxygen levels in tanks before transporting patient.
- Approaches and offers assistance to patients and visitors in the hospital environment.
- Communicates to nursing personnel, clinicians, technicians or reception regarding patient's arrival and departure.
- Verifies and confirms standard precautions and correct patient identification by comparing information from pager and patient wristband to obtain correct medical chart and verify proper mode of transportation.
- Disinfects and maintains equipment throughout the hospital. Performs environmental and safety checks then documents findings.
- Identifies malfunctioning ambulatory equipment and reports it to the appropriate department for repair or replacement.
- Moves and delivers equipment and linen carts to the appropriate staging area and depots.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED required.
Complexity of Work:
- Requires organizational, decisive judgment, problem solving, communications, good customer service skills and the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Must be able to handle multiple tasks, be able to work in a stressful environment and take appropriate actions as needed.
- After selection and placement, requires three months on-the-job training and orientation to learn multiple hospital and clinic locations, special procedures and patient emergency and safety procedures, proper body mechanics necessary to safely move patients.
- Requires full range of body motion including handling of patients, manual and finger dexterity and eye/hand coordination.
- Requires normal or corrected vision and hearing to normal range.
- Requires working with some exposure to communicable disease.
- Medium work-exerting 20-50 lbs. of force occasionally and/or 10-25 lbs. of force frequently and/or 10 lbs. of force constantly to move objects.
- Physical demand requirements are in excess of those for Light Work.
Personal Protective Equipment:
- Follows standard precautions using personal protective equipment as required.