Job Title: Emergency Call Handler
Hourly Pay Rate:
Weekdays 06.00 to 20.00 - £10.40
Nights 20.00 to 06.00 and Saturdays - £14.39
Sundays and Bank Holidays - £17.58
Length of the contract: Temporary to permanent
Shift Pattern: Working days and nights on a weekly rotation (example rota can be provided upon request). Rotas will be issued 6 weeks in advance.
Grafton Recruitment are now seeking to appoint a number of Emergency Call Handlers to our Public Sector client based in Chelmsford. Full and paid training will be provided via one of two courses, lasting either two to four weeks dependent on the course. The Emergency Call Handler position is very rewarding and offers excellent career progression. The contract is temporary to permanent with a 12 week probationary period via Grafton Recruitment.
Duties of the Emergency Call Handler
- Form part of a team of Emergency Call Handlers who will act as the first point of contact for telephone callers on a 24 hour basis and working rotating shifts. Where business continuity requires it, there may be a need to handle calls for two additional sites or to relocate to one of them on a temporary basis.
- To respond to all incoming telephone calls and prioritise emergency calls over non-emergency calls, placing lower priority callers on hold when required to achieve this. Where Automatic Call Distribution (ACD) is active, emergency calls may be answered automatically for the user.
- Ensure the timely and accurate answering and recording of all requests for emergency resources (including Doctors' urgent requests and routine calls) using the Computer Aided Dispatch and appropriate clinical triage software.
- Receive and record telephone calls from a range of personnel including hospital staff, other health service professionals and other Emergency Services.
- Where rotas or staffing levels require it, carry out duties within the "out of hours" control, either call handling or dispatching received calls. This requirement like all duties is subject to the post-holder having had appropriate training.
- Provide advice to callers as directed by clinical triage protocols and procedures. This will involve following a set process when applying the clinical triage software.
- Good keyboard skills with the ability to use Windows based systems.
- Excellent listening skills.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to remain calm under pressure.
- Ability to prioritise and undertake numerous tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to manage and support others during times of crisis.
- Empathy and compassion.
- Full flexibility to work both days and nights Monday to Sunday.
- Ability to handle traumatic, emotional and distressing situations.
- Ability to record information accurately.
- Willingness to undertake training.
Hiring Contact: Tiegan Clark
Agency: Grafton Recruitment
If you would like any further information about any vacancies before applying, please feel free to contact