Job Title: Commercial Underwriter
Location: Maidstone, Kent Package: Up to £40k, depending on experienceJob Type: Permanent
- The primary responsibility is to Underwrite the company's book of commercial business in accordance with written underwriting guidelines and an allocated personal underwriting authority.
- The position will also additionally require the candidate to assume some responsibility for ensuring administrative and support tasks are accurately complied with.
Duties will include:
Reviewing underwriting submissions; carrying out wording reviews; processing work; liaising Risk Modelling. Supporting the management of the account in conjunction with the business strategy, financial plan and personal objectives. Maintaining / fostering good relations with brokers.
Position Reports to:
- Underwriting new and renewal business in accordance with personal underwriting authority and assisting the department underwriters in other underwriting activities.
- Underwriting a balanced & profitable account.
- Provide service in line with broker requirements, ensuring service standards are achieved in line with business requirements.
- Enter submissions, quotes and bound policies in the underwriting system.
- Handle referral cases whilst adhering to individual authority level.
- Work collaboratively with other parts of the organisation when required.
- Support the development of profitable intermediary relationships to develop and retain business.
- Ensure survey requests , survey reports and Risk Improvements are processed in line business process and individual authority level.
- Maintain technical, legal and market knowledge and develop personal knowledge, skills and technical underwriting authority.
- Maintain awareness and understanding of business underwriting appetite and strategy.
- General duties associated with day to day underwriting operations, including file preparation, general filing, answering telephones etc
- As an employee of an FCA regulated company, you will be required to undertake regular training, study and assessment must therefore be undertaken to ensure this.
Skills / Competencies:
Business Expertise/ technical knowledge:
- High level of Commercial Insurance knowledge plus class of insurance knowledge specific to team and products traded.
- Knowledge of external markets.
- Numeracy, rating & analysis skills.
- Reporting, data and MI production
- Company wordings and products
- Understanding of & compliance with agreed underwriting authority
- Problem solving, negotiation & decision making
- Regulatory & compliance awareness
- Delivery of allocated budget.
- Contribute to Company loss ratio targets.
- Sales and negotiation skills
- Good organisational skills
- Dealing with difficult situations
- Takes responsibility
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Presentation skills
- Time management
- Written & verbal communication
- Service focussed
- Able to work with little supervision
- Build key relationships with internal & external customers
- Education - Minimum 5 GCSE's Grade C or above.
- Skills - Proficient in Windows based applications, in particular Excel.
- Professional Certification - Progress towards a CII qualification preferred
- Experience- Minimum 3 years' experience in the Commercial Insurance industry (Property, Package, Casualty Risks) desirable
For a full brief please contact one of our specialist consultants:-